Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 20

Went to Kyoto for some traditional sightseeing. Will not go back in awhile. Once you've seen some temples they're all pretty much the same. Worst thing about Kyoto is that it's full of tourist, and even when I ask for directions or information in Japanese, I always get an answer in broken English. Fuck you.

First I had breakfast from 7 Eleven on the Shinkansen. Bought stuff for over 700 yen just so I would have a chance of winning the Kubriks. I saw Harukyans behind the counter and it looks awesome. Will buy if I find it somehwere. Instead of winning a figure I got awful coffee.

Some of the Shinkansen seats are made to fit the Macbook perfectly onto the table. I love how even if it's bright and the screen is glossy, the picture is still crystal clear.



Started with Fushimi Inari Taisha, which is one long trail with lots of red torii gates, forming tunnels. All the gates have different names and owners. Companies buy gates and their name gets put on it.


I found Harukyans gate!



Then had lunch at Kyoto station with view over the city. The resturants that had view over the city really charged extra money on the food. This is roast beef sallad, about 1000 yen.



Wanted to wait until dusk to go to my next stop, Kiyomizudera. But they close 6pm and I couldn't get any good sunset/night shots. In August they are open one more time in the evening when it's dark, and from pictures I've seen, it's quite a sight, especially in the autumn.



Walked from there to Gion hoping to see some traditional geishas, but I guess that's out with all the tourists around. Instead I got some sunset shots before heading home. Gion is the quarter where all the geishas had their homes and headquarters in their era. They were never allowed to leave this area, unless they got bought out by someone or decided to quit their job.

No comments: